HERE WE GO!
Waxing is longer lasting and more sanitary than shaving for sure. When men switch from shaving to waxing, we love avoiding the inevitable itchy scruff that can't wait to irritate us and our skin too soon after having shaved. Many of my male clients tell me that they can't imagine going back to shaving after receiving their first waxing session.
Even though you may already know the benefits of waxing, you may still want to be sure that it's right for you. You may have some questions about it. Read on for common questions from my male clients.
• No razor bumps!
• Unlike shaving, waxing results last much longer.
• Moisture dries quicker for healthier skin.
• Waxing leaves your skin smooth and soft.
• Feel fresher, cleaner, and more confident.
• Hair grows back finer and less over time — no sharp and unsightly stubble.
• No need to worry about hair peeking out here and there that can be awkward!
• It's time-saving. It only takes about 20-40 minutes, depending on the area.
• Great before a trip or vacation. You don't need to worry about having to shave.
• More precise shaping/targeted hair removal in any area.
DO MEN REALLY LIKE WAXING?
Yes, men really do because waxing makes life more convenient in so many ways. It's by far more gentle with your skin than shaving. Not to mention that some folks' hair is way too thick. It's unlikely for both hair and skin to stay dry either after a shower or a workout. Thick hair collects moisture and retains the body heat that promote growth of microbes. The most common fungal infection in men is jock itch. Fortunately, by having less or no hair can prevent or help eliminate some skin problems.
As a matter of fact, removing hair by using depilatory hair removal wax immediately weakens the hair follicles, so hair grows back much slower, lighter, and more sparse over time. It takes about 4 treatments for your hair to fall into a growth cycle (growing 👉🏻 regression 👉🏻 resting 👉🏻 shedding) that gives you optimal results. Therefore, stick with it and you'll see and feel the benefits.
WHAT IS THE BRAZILIAN WAXING?
Brazilian waxing can be anything from a complete bare waxing to a more moderate waxing, removing everything, except a little landing strip. Typically, Brazilian waxing takes off the back side hair as well, so you're clean all around.
ISN’T BRAZILIAN WAXING ONLY FOR WOMEN?
In the past, women were the only ones who benefitted from Brazilian waxing, It's a whole new world now! It's common for men to want to get it done, too. My clients are athletes and bodybuilders, or just regular gentlemen who like the look and feel of a clean waxed appearance. Occasionally, there have been men who were going to have surgeries. They preferred to have their hair waxed, instead of having it shaved.
DOES IT HURT?
To me, a paper cut is way worse than getting waxed! Honestly, removing your hair from the follicle is not going to always be comfortable. I use specific techniques to minimize the discomfort of waxing procedures. Keep in mind that the first waxing session is the most uncomfortable. It will be just like you go get a haircut after 3 or 4 waxing sessions.
WHAT SHOULD I DO TO GET READY FOR MY APPOINTMENT?
The following are a few things you definitely should do before your appointment:
• Shower and exfoliate the area(s) that hair will be removed before your appointment. It helps remove dead skin cells and loosen the pores. It definitely makes waxing so much easier and less discomfort. It also helps prevent ingrown hairs.
• Do NOT apply any lotion/moisturizer after you shower. Lotion makes waxing more challenging because the wax will not adhere to the hair.
• As much as you can reach, trim your hair down at least to a quarter of an inch before your appointment.
• If you usually shave, you must stop shaving for 3 weeks before your appointment. This is really important for male Brazilian waxing because the hair in that area usually grows slower than the rest of the body.
• Many of my clients have mentioned to me that taking an OTC pain reliever like Ibuprofen 20 minutes prior their appointments has helped. It's totally up to you.
• Avoid drinking alcohol the night before or right before your appointment because it causes much more discomfort during waxing.
• Avoid aspirin, smoking, and caffeine before your appointment. They cause excessive bleeding when hair is removed.
• Wear loose and comfortable clothing to your appointment to avoid irritation of newly waxed skin. Avoid wearing white or light colored clothing.
WHAT ABOUT AFTER MY APPOINTMENT?
Your hair follicles will be open after your treatment. It's important to avoid the following for 24 hours after your wax appointment:
• UV exposure
• Tight clothing
• Sauna/Steam room
• Deodorant (underarms)
• Hot bath/Shower/Swimming
• Fake tan/Body lotion/Perfume
• Excessive perspiration and friction
DISADVANTAGES OF SHAVING
• It's annoying. Stubble catches everything!
• You can cut yourself.
• Results never last long.
• Razors can easily become contaminated with bacteria, viruses, and who knows what else.
• Hair grows back too quickly, and appears darker and coarser due to the blunt cut of the hair.
• Can cause razor bumps, burn, and skin discoloration.